WIP Sandy Field backpack Version 3

Working on a costume? Looking for feedback and insight? Just want to show off where you are at? Post it here! Include pictures!
Ghostie20
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet
Legion ID: 0
Name:

WIP Sandy Field backpack Version 3

Post by Ghostie20 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:24 pm

Hello fellow Garrison members,

I promised a detailed WIP on my sandy field backpack version 3. However my original plan was to do the backpack frame but the measurements just threw me off and had no time to even proceed with the frame, but here is the Mortar tube with the materials and how to build it.
Items:

Sander
(it doesn’t have to be this one exactly but one of my uncles let me borrowed it)

Sanding disk template
(As seen here it can be found at ACE)

Tupperware Pitcher 874
(This can be found in eBay. If you are going for PO or S.W.A.T the cap must be translusive)

Drill and Plastic cutters

Black drain pipe
(This need to be 3ft long from right shoulder to right lower butt cheek and can be found in Home Depot and Lowes)

Scotch brite pads

3M 120 sandpaper
(It can be any sandpaper but it must be between 120 to 180 to make everything fit and perfect)

Everbilt Cap nuts and an AED ¼ x 1-1/2 bolt
(This can be found in the Home Depot)

Matt Black Paint

Trooper bay thermal detonator(for the caps and control I used the plastic scissors and sander to fit them on the pipe)

Procedure:
Before the painting I saw that I would need to use the scour side to make sure the paint would be secure and also sanding the edges so the caps of the thermal detonator can budge in without resist.

Pipe painted with the matt black paint

This is the first drill bit that I used to make the hole that goes on the upper right corner of the thermal detonator control and just for measures here’s the length and here is the sanded end cap, honestly this is my first 1 and what do you think?

Here is a second drill but that I used with the length to layout the sanding disk and pitcher in order to make the radar dish. (I did drill the cap originally but I was off to the right and had to make it longer so please don’t bash me too hard)

Here I also painted the sanding disk and as seen before the disk has letters and numbers and I had to sand paper and use an exacto knife to remove those letters and numbers. Now I used a bolt which was difficult to screw in. Once I had the disk and bolt in place I used a ¼ nut to secure the bolt and disk and that can be manageable with a 7/16 wrench and bracket to keep it in place.

Finally I put the cap in and the cap nut and here is the radar dish. Also not shown but after this installment I used the E6000 to put the thermal detonator control on the top of the pipe.

Here is the Mortar tube shown in full completion

I hope you guys like this first part of my WIP for the field backpack, part II will be out soon were I would be doing the frame out of a PVC pipe. However, finals are a near but winter break is a foot thank god, I will post a pic when my backpack items arrive just to update on my progress. One last thing I will note when I do my PO submission in the MEPD and they ask for a few changes I will put them here so current and future sandies can use this as a backbone to create this backpack, but maybe encourage those sandies to make these WIP on the other versions(1,2,4,5) of the backpack as well.

Nathan
Last edited by Ghostie20 on Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Hesikaya
Jundland Wastes Squad Leader
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Legion ID: 41469
Name: Scott
leadership_rank: Jundland Wastes Squad Leader

Re: WIP Sandy Field backpack Version 3

Post by Hesikaya » Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:02 am

That looks like a great start Nathan. Looking forward to seeing more updates! :bone:
Scott Woodworth
TK-TI-IC 41469
Fire Team Desert Storm
Gonk Droid Builder and Jawa Wrangler. :jawa:

Ghostie20
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet
Name:

WIP Sandy Field backpack Version 3(Interlude)

Post by Ghostie20 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:33 pm

Thanks, also 2 days ago like around 6pm I received this in the mail:

As seen above I ordered a Brexton box, Shires syphon UP100(However for this version of the backpack I would need to cut about an inch to resemble an UP90), seed trays and a radio. When I finish the frame I will focus on my attention to one of the items in this post.

Part II coming soon

Ghostie20
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet
Name:

Re: WIP Sandy Field backpack Version 3 Part II.1

Post by Ghostie20 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:08 am

I am back fellow garrison members with more information on building this backpack, now this will be a 2 part arc since I want to update my progress and not think I promised and forgot this whole WIP how to guide. Nonetheless here is the first part on gathering items and building the backpack frame:

Items(new):
¾ PVC pipe
(This can be found in the Home Depot, Lowes and ACE)

PVC pipe cutter

2 Everbilt Flat bars 1in X 48in in diameter and 1/8in thick
(There are two types of bars aluminum and steel, I recommend those who don’t know how to weld or don’t have any welding tools buy aluminum since it is very easy to cut and will hold the amount of items that will go on the backpack. This can be found in The Home Depot and maybe Lowes.)

Hacksaw
(This will cut through aluminum than steel and I will be using these bars since I don’t know anything about welding or have any welding tools.)

7/8 wooden dowel
(Can be found in the Home Depot and maybe Lowes but not sure and make sure you get something short in length like a foot or 2 feet)

Sand
(I will be using a user named mikelbrierly's procedure from the MEPD on making a frame out of a PVC pipe(more info below). Also it wont be a lot of sand but I just need to see how much I will need.)

Heat gun

A funnel
(Personally, I will be using either a plastic funnel wrapped with metal for the inside, since we are dealing with hot sand. But I recommend getting a metal funnel)

3 bags of Everbilt #10-32 x 1-1/2in screws and 4 bags of Everbilt #10-32 nuts

Backpack straps
(Now these are leaf blower straps but there comfortable, durable and have no logo so they should be ok for the backpack, I'll update you on that. this can be found on eBay)

Items(Recurring, see first post):
Sander

Drill

Paint

3M Sandpaper

Scotch brite pads

Procedure:
Eventhough I have said I would be doing this build for the frame I had to do a lot of searching to find a forum with the proper frame measurements that I have found and was lucky enough to find that someone a username named mikelbrierly in the MEPD had made a post on making a frame out of a PVC pipe which I will link here. I couldnt have done this with his work and i'm glad he made this post for sandies. I will add a few things that I think will give more information to my and this person post just to add more information but also my take on it as well.
https://forum.mepd.net/index.php?/topic ... ame-build/

Frame measurements

Here is what my frame looks like when using hot sand for 10 minutes as mikelbrierly(the user who made the post) instructed but in some cases I still had to use a heat gun which was baffling. To be fair this is my first rodeo so its better than nothing.

As shown above there was a 7/8 wooden dowel I cut about an inch or half an inch and used the sander to make it fit the PVC to make the cross bar. Make sure its not too loose or too tight when you are testing the dowel on the PVC pipe(note: it'll be up to you how long you want the wooden dowels to be and what type of screw to use this is just an example. However if you want to follow my example than fell free).

I used a heatgun to bend the wall frames as shown here, also I marked where the wall would be bended so its not bended too high or too low. What is also shown is I used a marker to label where I would bend the wall but also where the cross bar should go as well, I recommend this so its not too complicated to put the crossbar on the frame. Whats not shown is I bended a PVC and made a crossbar and was following Mikes process to properly connect the crossbar onto the frame but I had made some errors on the crossbar which I am not willing to share(it looks bad).

The final product displayed on and off my back with a dyed pouch(note: no one was harmed when I was wearing the frame, yes its a BB I'm holding. I just wanted to see what would it looks like if I had a blaster and I am getting one soon. Its the E-11)

There will be a second/final part of part II where I will be drilling the aluminum bars on the frame, painting the frame, adding the bottom seed trays and the mortar tube to the backpack. let me know what you think, Part II.2 coming soon. Note: this may be a let down since I didn't show everything and the procedure was short. I wanted to source everything that is of use to not only me but also any one who needs help finding information but the next part will all be me making the frame no sources just me.

Ghostie20
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet
Name:

Re: WIP Sandy Field backpack Version 3 Part II.2

Post by Ghostie20 » Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:15 pm

I am back with the final part of this long and challenging process of building the backpack frame but here is what I have and how I did it.
Items(new):
Pliers

Screwdriver

Bondo all-purpose putty

Electrical tape

White shoelaces
(you can find these in Walmart)

A ratchet and a 3/8 socket

Paint(primer)
(The green is for the frame and the seed trays and the black is for the aluminum frames and these can be found in Walmart, Home Depot, ACE, and maybe Lowes)

2 zip ties and a thin metal wire

Red fabric
(This will be the foundation of the red support straps and they can be made of cotton, nylon and/or canvas or a bit of both. This can be found in Joann’s and maybe Hobby Lobby )

Chair feet tips
(This can be found in ACE)

Battleship Grey paint
(This was a groveling task to find this certain color in general but to save everyone the trouble here are the brands that sell this color and where to find them:
- Rust Tough Krylon Battleship grey – It said to be found in Walmart(online), and Amazon.
- Majic Diamond Hard Battleship grey – This can be found in Tractor n Supply.
- Spaz stix Battleship grey – I can only find this online but it said it can be found in a hobby shop but uncertain where.)

Items(recurring, see part I and part II.1 ):
Drill
3M Sandpaper
10-32 Nuts and bolts
Matt black paint
Scotch brite scour side
Aluminum bars
Hacksaw
Mortar tube

Procedure:
As seen here the first thing I did was sanded the frame and used the scour side to make sure the paint doesn’t wear off the frame when I start painting.

Not shown(sorry) I used the Bondo putty to seal off the big holes that were on the side of the frame, seal my mess with the crossbar and put some strength where the wall and curve meet[images below]. And if I’m honest this was the most time consuming than all of the other things I had to do to build the frame.

After I have sawed off the bars in half (like somewhere between 14-15 inches) the next thing to do is drilling bars. There are 4 drill bits that I used but these 2 were to connect the bars to the frame(the left one) and the seed trays(the right one). Also shown is I used a wooden bar to have somewhere to drill down and not shown is I used 2 giant clamps to keep the bars from moving when I was drilling. Once I have drilled the ends on the bars I used the 10-32 nuts and bolt to keep them in place, the 10-32 nuts are tough to screw in, but the ratchet and socket makes it very easy.

The drill bit on the right will be to make the holes to hold the seed trays, now when drilling the seed trays I would recommend slightly pulling the trigger as I have no clue how sensitive the trays are and its best to avoid any risk whatsoever. Drilling the holes on the bar to hold the seed trays will be the same method as drilling the holes to the frame[see above].

Once the bars have settled on the frame I removed the bars from the frame to prime each of these pieces, When I removed the bars from the frame the nuts and bolts were still on the frame and just taped the thread to prevent any difficulties rescrewing the bars on the frame. Also shown here I would label which bar would go on the frame in order to prevent any confusion down the line.

Then there is the tips the closest thing I could find that can fit on a ¾ PVC pipe was about 11/8 inches and in order to keep them in place I used electrical tape to make it strong and stable I recommend it worked out perfectly. Finally, I painted the entire frame, bars and upper seed trays with matt black and battleship grey on the lower seed trays.

The red support straps were easy to do and thanks to an information thread I found in the MEPD, the diameter of the straps were 10cm/4in in height and 55cm/22in in length. Now I will admit I have never used a sewing machine and down below is the 2 support straps I made, punched in two holes on each side and painted black. To color the straps I had an airbrush to turn them from a bright red to a dull reddish black color.

Finally here is how I tied one of the straps on the frame what do you think.

The Final step is attaching the Mortar tube on the frame, here are the drill bits I used. The drill bit on the left was meant to fit the 2 zip ties, the drill bit on the right was meant to fit the thin metal wire(This was also difficult to do as well since I needed a flashlight and something long and solid to guide the zip ties and wire but here the result on screen and its complete).

Here is final result what do you think.

So I have good news and bad news, the bad news is I will be starting my spring semester at the U of A in less than 24 hours, but the good news is the U of A main library has a workshop called the Catalyst studio where I will be continuing in my free time to do more of my backpack items and my armor too. I have put a lot of time into this project and I am happy how it turned out and let me know what you guys think, the next item I will be working on will be the radio anyway look forward to post more of this project both here and in the MEPD.

Jedi Joe
Admiral
Admiral
Legion ID: 9494
Name: Joe

Post by Jedi Joe » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:17 pm

Nice work Nathan! This is a really good WIP.
Joe

a.k.a. "Baby Stealer"

"You know you've reached rock bottom when you're told you have character flaws by a man who hanged his predecessor in a military coup." - Charlie Wilson

Redhead MJ
Events Coordinator
Events Coordinator
Ensign
Ensign
Legion ID: 33359
Name: Cassandra
leadership_rank: Events Coordinator

Post by Redhead MJ » Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:30 pm

Wow!
The rewards of wearing a costume you put time and effort in so worth it.
Good work! Look forward to trooping with you soon.
Cassandra Scherm
DSG- Ensign, love to troop
Costumes: Marajade
Previous costumes: TIE
Future costumes: TK, Bo-Katan, Cara Dune, Sabine

Ghostie20
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet
Name:

Re: WIP Sandy Field backpack Version 3 Part III.1

Post by Ghostie20 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:54 pm

Hello DSG members, here is my progress on my radio for the Field backpack. However, this will be a 2 part as I think the last part will be assembling the radio on the lower seed trays.

Items(New):
Plastic cabinet feet
(This will be the foundation of the radio feet. As seen it can be found in ACE)

Everbilt 10-24 screws and nuts
(These screws will hold the plastic cabinet feet than the ones that came with the plastic feet. This can be found in the Home Depot)

Masking tape

1 mm by 1.5 mm screws and nuts
(These will hold the microphone jacket in place and can be found in ACE)

An arbor and 2 M6 washers
(The arbor[The right one] came with the sanding disk template for the Mortar Tube and since I didn’t have an antenna with my radio kit this will makes it look convincing. The washers will hold the arbor both in and out of the radio and make it look like an antenna. These can be found in ACE[Again])

Binder clips

Leather hole puncher

Fabric scissors or rotary cutter and cutting matt
(To cut the Pleather)

Clamps

Pleather
(This can be found in Hobby Lobby and maybe Joann’s)

Heavy Duty snaps and snap placer
(This can be found in Hobby Lobby and Walmart)

Radio parts
(This image should give you an idea of what I had to work on minus the feet and antenna, but you will see how resourceful I am with making these parts for my radio)

Industrial sewing machine
(I was lucky that the U of A Catalyst studio had an industrial sewing machine that I could use for free. Using the industrial machine felt different compared to a reguIar fabric machine but I am glad I used it since I have no experience with manually sewing leather and I can imagine how challenging that might be.)

Gorilla glue and/or super glue
(This can be found in Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes and ACE)

Items(Recurring):
E6000
Matt Black Paint
Screwdriver
Drill and drill bits
Electrical tape

Procedure:
Now this was a challenge to start off but my radio kit came with 5 plastic parts to make the formation of the exterior of the radio and how that was done was I used masking tape to hold off the edges with E6000. Along with the E6000 I used metal dumbbells to keep them in place. However, I can only do one side at a time and wait till 24 hours for the E6000 to dry but I can see why that was important. This was recommended by a 501st/MEPD member who gave me the backpack parts and works like a charm.

Not shown(sorry again) was the completed version of the sewed on pleather with the industrial sewing machine, but you can see it here as I explore how will it be displayed on the radio box held by binder clips. The next thing I did was used a drill bit that is about half an inch long and used a round file to expand the hole that would hold that would fit the microphone jacket.

With the half inch drill in my grasp I used it to poke a hole on the marked pleather and you can see the result on screen.

After placing the Microphone jacket on the right side of the radio box I used a small drill bit to poke holes that would allow me to put screws and nuts in order to hold the microphone jacket.

Once that was complete I started to focus on the left side where I would need to drill in holes that would hold the AUX connectors. However After I have drilled these holes the connectors were able to fit but not completely the connectors had a little gap that wasn’t letting the connectors connect to the wall, so I used a round file to expand the hole horizontally and they fit perfectly.

This drill but I have here was to place in the arbor to act as the antenna for my radio and you will see how it went later on. However, after I have drilled the hole I sprayed the rubber feet, the box, the radio faceplate, 1 of the M6 washer, the tips of the 10-24 screws and the plastic parts that would hold, elastic strap to carry the radio and the dials.(Sorry I don’t have the picture for all of them but there painted and present I assure you.)

After all of the painting I got to start putting everything together on the exterior of the box and how I did it was if I was doing the right side placed the microphone jacket on the drilled pleather hole than I screwed the jacket on the wall to keep it in place. Finally I spread some gorilla glue all over the side and used binder clips, clamps, and some blocks of wood(these will come back later) to hold one side for about 24 hours and will repeat the same thing but just for the different sides.(As shown with the left side as well)

Note: The 501st/MEPD member who gave me the backpack parts did tell me there was one way to bind the pleather to the walls and that was using acetone and ABS shards. This combination is apparently very effective and has the same wait time as well 24 hours. However I didn’t have any acetone or enough ABS shards to perfect this adhesive but I recommend if anyone wants to try that out than feel free if they don’t want to try the gorilla glue method.

Finally when working on the feet this was a little more complicated than expected before painting the parts I listed I checked how long I needed the small 2 pleather straps and where they would be placed too. However drilling the holes with a 5/16 or 5/32 drill bit to place the feet and the snaps were even more difficult and I made sure they were at least an inch away from the edge but having so much scattered holed I had to putty them up and staring again, this time accurate alignments and depictions of how it should look like.
In the end the straps were about 2.5 inches long to hold the feet and snaps, drilled in new holes on the box, glued the bottom pleather pieces to the box, poked a hole with an exacto knife for the straps and used a leather hole puncher to guide the screws and snaps onto the radio box and here is the final result on screen.

Part II of this construction will be putting the radio together and screwing it on to the from lower seed tray with questionable brackets I made to hold them together(when I post a picture you’ll see why). This literally took me 2 semesters to complete this portion of the radio as I got to do the pleather, boxing and some of the drilling at the end of my fall semester and the rest of the exterior this semester. I really hope I dont have to this again as that would be devastating for me since I have made tremendous progress and would shatter if I have to rebuild this again.

Also thank you Jedi Joe and Redhead MJ for commenting on my thread it mean so much that you two and everyone in the garrison that is interested with my detail build on the backpack as I want to share my craft and share information for any sandie who wants to make a backpack from scratch.

Hesikaya
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Legion ID: 41469
Name: Scott
leadership_rank: Jundland Wastes Squad Leader

Post by Hesikaya » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:10 am

Bravo sir. Your attention to all the details is really paying off with how great this pack is coming along. And you're documentation will certainly be a with while read for future troopers to follow.

Keep up the good work.
Scott Woodworth
TK-TI-IC 41469
Fire Team Desert Storm
Gonk Droid Builder and Jawa Wrangler. :jawa:

Dark Angel
Public Relations Officer
Public Relations Officer
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Legion ID: 35245
Name: JayPewPew
leadership_rank: Public Relations Officer

Post by Dark Angel » Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:21 pm

Wow! All your hard work is paying off. Nice job. Thanks for sharing the progress with us.
Jen Den aka Jay Pew Pew
*Admiral Daala* Iden Versio*

Endotech
Captain
Captain
Legion ID: 10016
Name: Rick

Post by Endotech » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:01 pm

Good luck, on your new costume
Rick Ferguson
Fire Team